Maier Law Group: Law Office Guru Job Posting
Who We Are
The Maier Law Group (MLG) (www.maierlawgroup.com) is a boutique law firm that focuses on employment and data privacy and security law for biotech, high-tech, and emerging companies. We also conduct workplace investigations. We are women lawyers who are committed to lawyering mindfully. We have an office in Corte Madera, CA, but generally work from home and have clients all over the Bay Area. We are growing very rapidly, and we need someone to assist us with various non-legal professional tasks.
Whom We Seek
MLG seeks a self-motivated, detail-oriented “law office guru” (exact title is open to discussion) to perform a large range of both administrative and non-administrative tasks. This position will primarily work remotely. Ideally, the guru would start with 20 hours a week, and likely increase to 30-40 over the course of a year or two, but the position can remain part-time if need be (we will be flexible for the right candidate). The ideal candidate will be able to manage multiple projects at one time, keep attorneys updated on various projects, and work independently while communicating frequently with her (or his) team. The ideal candidate must be very detail-oriented (good at editing/spotting typos) and a proficient writer. She/he must also be facile with learning new software programs and have IT knowhow (and not be intimidated by using new technology and programs.) Our ideal candidate is able to work independently but is also a team player and will not feel micromanaged by regularly reporting to her team what she is working on. This is an egalitarian environment, and the new hire will have a voice in major firm decisions that impact her or him.
There is lots of room for growth if that appeals to a candidate. Our former administrative assistant became paralegal certified and did website development work, IT support, etc. Ideally, we’d love to find someone who had those capabilities or the interest in learning them, but it’s not essential. This is a great job for a very smart person adept at quickly learning new things, even if his or her background is completely unrelated to law.
What the Job Entails
Job duties include:
- Maintaining attorney calendars;
- Scheduling conference calls;
- Setting up new client engagement letters and performing conflict checks in a billing/database software program;
- Sending out client invoices;
- Communicating with clients and performing intake in certain cases;
- Formatting, editing, and writing documents (knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and Google Drive is required);
- Updating our website and writing content for it;
- Setting up and formatting PowerPoint presentations;
- Drafting documents and editing presentations and letters;
- Brainstorming with the lawyers on new directions for the firm to take, branding ideas, etc.;
- Basic marketing research; and
- All other administrative and non-administrative functions to support our expanding practice.
Compensation initially to be paid hourly in the range of $20-35 depending on the person’s qualifications and experience. Vacation pay, retirement, and other benefits. Currently no health insurance is available.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please follow these steps:
- Complete this free online character strengths survey and take note of your top 5 character strengths: https://www.viacharacter.org/survey/account/register;
- Email your resume to Jenny@MaierLawGroup.com;
- Title the subject line of your email: “Application for MLG Office Guru Position”;
- Include in the text of your email a brief explanation of why you believe you are a good fit for this position; and
- Include in this email your top 5 character strengths from the character strengths survey (from step #1).